I received an email yesterday informing me that I was nominated by one of my own readers, Dear Ms. Migraine, for the Inspirational Blogger Award here on WordPress. If you have not read any of her work, she’s pretty darn interesting and her “About Me” page is enough to crack anybody up–especially those of us who have dealt in any way with higher education. She is relatable and funny, and she is an Inspirational Blogger; so for me to be nominated by her for this award was flattering to say the least, I was speechless when I realized it really. That may seem silly to some of you seasoned WordPresser’s but please remember, I have only been here “attempting” this since last Summer.
You can find Ms. Migraine here: dearmsmigraine.com
Part of this Award requires that I now tell you 7 Deadly Sins, no I’m kidding, 7 things about myself and then nominate 15 bloggers that I read… I also have to display the award Plaque-thingy–which could get interesting–but I will get it.
First the easy part…
7 Things About Me:
1) I agree thoroughly with Dorothy Parker, a lot of you may have noticed, but especially on this: “I hate writing, but I love having written.”
2) It was a hard lesson for me to learn that strangers would pay more attention and be more engaging here, with me and my work, than my own friends and family.
3) My life is all over the place, literally my husband and I are living in two different states. I have had to return to living with my parents which makes me feel as though I’ve stepped back in time to some terrible, wretched place, and amid all of this I am trying to finish my last 2 classes for my BFA… it isn’t a very conducive environment for new, original, creative work. But I’ve tried, I’ve had no choice as one of those classes requires it. ; )
4) I went for my very first job interview a few weeks ago within the field of journalism–that was interesting–it was with the H.R. rep. of a small paper in the Gettysburg, PA area where I will eventually land with my husband at the end of this month. I think she agreed to meet with me–because I made it clear in my cover letter that I was just trying to get my name out & about, I could not begin work anywhere until Dec.–just to show, or tell me everything I did wrong. I admit–all the time if your friends with me on Facebook–that I hit send too quickly, which results in me sending off messages and posting things publicly that are riddled with typo’s. It is a huge pet peeve, you would think I would’ve learned, but it still happens. I get excited about something–the prospect of getting to meet with who I thought was the Editor, prime example–and I shoot off a reply without thoroughly proofing it first. And I don’t exactly trust spellcheck, I know better.
This one is gonna need two paragraphs: Yet it was just something in this lady’s tone of voice, I don’t know maybe the condescending smile too, that made me feel like she was enjoying herself a bit too much. I had to bite my tongue throughout the entire meeting with her and at one point, I was so offended by her demeanor, that I couldn’t help it: I actually stood, popped right out of my seat and had to force myself not to go any further. The irony is not at all lost on me, someone fresh out of school, applying for a job–any entry-level job–at a paper and allowing typo’s to get by in their messages with the newspaper rep. However, if I had been in her place: I hope to hell that my personality and “way with words” would not make the interviewee feel repulsed to the point of having to force themselves to remain in the room with me, to stay and not just walk right out of the room. Much as my physical body was compelling me to do…
5) I don’t trust spellcheck.
6) I believe I will probably end up, much to the chagrin of my degree and mentors, working in some plant while I write in my own spare time.
7) I still believe in Literature and I really don’t care about “best sellers.” Which is why I will probably end up working in a plant.
The 15 Bloggers I admire & read, who I would like to nominate as “Inspirational Bloggers,” for this award:
1) My Dead Son’s Journals
2) Kit’s Shutter Moxie
3) Canadian Hiking Photography
5) My CupKeiki
7) Literary Litanies
9) Literature and Libation
11) Sofie’s Diary
12) The Mighty F
13) Whit B Nimble
14) Ruminations on Love and Lunchmeat
15) Mama’s Been Drinkin
Very Inspiring Blogger Award Rules
1.Display the award logo on your blog.
2.Link back to the person who nominated you.
3.State 7 things about yourself.
4.Nominate 15 other bloggers for this award and link to them.
5.Notify those bloggers of the nomination and the award’s requirements.